8 Tips for Effective Study: Studying has been a stressful thing experienced among most students both in college and in tertiary institutions. Many students have abounded their books for a long and during exams, they fly about summarizing big texts for exams. It’s quite odd when you give the brain what it cannot carry once, you can only remember a few during the exam.
It’s very unhealthy to study for over 12hours a day just to meet up with the syllabus for exams, you will end up forgetting most of them if not all. You don’t check HOW LONG you studied but HOW MUCH you studied. Many students READ but don’t study, these two things are quite different. All they do is memorize it like a song then think they all know it but they don’t know studying entails digesting it in your brain which can never be forgotten. You have been able to give different meanings to a particular thing at a time.
8 tips on how to study effectively
1. Study in small quantities for a particular time. Do not force yourself to study a lot and still end up forgetting most of them.
2. You can study for about 2 hours then break it down and give your brain some break for about 5 mins then you continue. But if you wish to study longer, then give yourself a longer break for about 20-25 minutes then you hit up again.
NOTE: Do not force yourself to study it just because the exam is fast approaching. Do not study too fast, study bit by bit.
3. During your break do not give yourself any exam pressure or stress. Stay exam pressure mind free, Instead memorize all you have read previously or discuss with your friends about it and ask questions.
4. Focus on the core materials which are likely to show up in the exam such as theories, formulas, diagrams, principles, and graphs, etc… You’re likely to concentrate more on the likely topics and the core Materials.
5. When scheduling your study for each day, you choose your subjects according to their category such as;
- Memory dependent subjects: You just need to memorize them and know them in your mind such as biology, geography, etc…
- Solving Subjects: Maths, physics where you need to know mathematical formulas and all that applies.
Interpretation based subjects: Such as English and literature which requires speaking and writing skills.
8 Tips for Effective Study
6. Whenever you’re reading a chapter, you need to highlight the important portions of that chapter, write them down and memorize them to the best of your knowledge.
7. You make notes when studying, you put things down maybe in a rough paper, then memorize them one after another especially the key facts in each chapter.
8. Lastly, you need to sleep properly, not because the exams are fast approaching then you rush all topics, you need proper sleep for about 7-8 hours every night to ensure all your studying time is really retained by your brain.
Following the guide, step-by-step instructions above I believe can improve one’s exam rush study. Remember, do not wait for exams before you start to study. Wake up and do something new. It’s just to READ, nothing else. All the best!